The Church of the Assumption is an example of pioneering Caribbean architecture that broke away from American and European influences to create a Trinidadian vernacular. Its form is a simple north-south nave, with the choir and organ on a balcony at the south end, forming a compression at the full-height entrance. Upon approaching the church, the simplicity of the exposed pitched roof, supported by six tall greenheart columns, highlights the palette of local, natural materials, which include pink limestone. This was deliberately chosen to play off the now destroyed pink Poui tree along the driveway. These columns, not shown on the original drawings, were renewed after fifty years. In 2005, The Church of the Assumption was awarded the “Best 50-Year Project” award at the ABEL/ Bestcrete Architectural Design & Excellence Awards.
Project Client: Roman Catholic Archdiocese of POS
Project Architect: Anthony C. Lewis Associates
Civil + Structural Engineers: Elton Millet of Anthony C. Lewis
Interior Designer: Anthony C. Lewis Associates
Project Management: Anthony C. Lewis Associates
Location: Maraval, Trinidad
Status: Completed 1952