Established in 1945 in Barbados, acla:works is the first indigenous architectural practice of Trinidad & Tobago. The firm is responsible for projects such as the Church of the Assumption, the Financial Complex, the Hall of Justice and the British Gas Headquarters on St. Clair Avenue. The practice was founded by Anthony Clyde Lewis [1918 – 2008], a fellow of the Trinidad and Tobago Institute of Architects and the Royal Institute of British Architects. Lewis was also a graduate of MIT and the Illinois Institute of Technology, where he studied under Mies Van der Rohe. Anthony Lewis was awarded the TTIA Gold Medal for Architecture and the Hummingbird Gold Medal. The firm was carried on by Lewis’ son, Brian, along with business partners Louis Ottley and the late Ruskin Punch, until 2001. Today, the firm’s directors are Brian Lewis, Gary Turton and Mandilee Newton.